Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Blog 2 Assignment

Name: Dorothy Thompson    
Date: 1/30/12
Name of Program/Setting:  Infant toddler classroom

Who I spoke with: I spoke with the lead teacher in the classroom.
What I learned about …I learned how they set up the classroom, how they plan for their children and how they implement the lesson plan. I learned that everything I learn in the classroom is not the same for when you go into the child care centers. There are different rules.  Do not go in there expecting to see what you were taught in the classroom.  It is amazing how the teachers work with the infants and young toddlers.  Children and teachers are learning all day. Every minute is a learning opportunity.  The children are like sponges and they learn as they play and interact with peers and adults in the classroom.  The classroom has multicultural families, as I watched the teacher interact with the parents I find that no matter what your ethnic background the outcome is the same.  The families want to be treated with respect and they also want quality care and education for their children.
Two insights, experiences, or quotes that I will share in my blog this week…
The insights I want to share are that no matter what I have learned in my classrooms it is up to me what I take into that child care classroom with me. It is not what I do but how I do it. It is up to me how I want to approach the educational needs of the infants and toddlers.  I have also learned that not everybody have the same technique and passion for teaching.  Also it is hard to go into a classroom, observe, and ask a teacher questions that you have the answers to, because of what you saw in that classroom, and the teacher do not understand what you are asking.  It made me feel that I was testing her which was not my intention.  I wanted an explanation for what I saw and did not understand why it was done that way.


3 comments:

  1. Dorothy,
    I understand what you are stating. I like the way the host teacher ask the students questions when I was interviewing her after I had finish the observation. I gain much insight from her, I was impress when she went back over the one word to make sure that the students understood waht she had said. Some words to a second grader can sound the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy,

    Can you give a full description of your setting’s environment, students, teachers, and any other relevant details? I agree in part with your insight that “it is not what I do but how I do it” (Dorothy). I do agree that how we implement activities and materials within these activities is important. However, I also think that it is important with regard to what we do with children. If there was not a what, then there would not be a how in the implementation. I do think that providing children with positive interactions, for example, is important in term terms of a how when implementing such experiences and activities for children in the classroom. That being said, though, I also think that the what of an activity or experience sets the stage for the how aspects. Of course, simply providing caring and positive interactions within other more simple contexts in the infant/toddler classroom is also important as with diaper changes and meal times.

    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothy,
    I agree it is very hard to observe someone else teach, especially if they're not as passionate as you, however you do gain a lot of insights regarding teacher observations. Can you also discuss what your advocacy plan is and what you saw in your observations regarding your plan?

    ReplyDelete